Friday, January 12, 2024

Mrs. McCabe- Brave New Directions

 Margaret Genevieve, our little Maggie girl, has been a fierce and feisty lady since the day she was born. Being the youngest of three, she has developed these character traits out of necessity, to hold her own with her older siblings and to ensure she will not be left out of their good times. Despite being nearly half their age, anything they do, she is always one fearless and spirited step behind.


Which is why, it took me by surprise on the first snowfall this January when we told her she was finally old enough to sled down “the big hill” by herself, that she did not jump at this opportunity for independence.

“Without mommy or daddy?!” She stammered as she peered over the snowy ledge plunging into what seemed to be a deep abyss.

“Yes! You got this!”, we encouraged.

“No way, I’m scared”

“We know you can do it, you are such a big kid!”

“I don’t think I can. It’s too far,” Maggie protested as she lay at the edge of the hill, on her blue snow tube, testing her courage.

Before she had another moment to mull it over, as if by fate, a swirly gust of wind blew down the path and brought just enough momentum to “whoosh” her down the mountain.

I listened joyfully to her squeals of delight as she raced down the snow-covered hill all by herself! As she reached the bottom she shouted “I did it! I did it!” Her face beamed with the proudest smile.

You sure did, Mags! You sure did!
Here’s to many more strong winds blowing us all in brave new directions.

1 comment:

  1. I can envision Maggie reading this at different times of her life and appreciating you, her siblings, and herself in many different ways. I love how you weave the moment into the bigger concept of who she is and why.

    ReplyDelete

Mrs. Meehan- Closing Thoughts

  Hi everyone,  Thank you for writing and reading slices throughout the month, and if you were a commenter, an extra thank you!  I’ve loved ...